Temp suddenly keeps spiking - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by M0therGoose, Apr 24, 2009.

1. M0therGoose

M0therGoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    It is day 25 with my goose eggs and i have had fairly even temperture and humidity levels all along. However, when i woke up this morning and checked the temp (as i always do) it was on 103!! So i took the lid off for a while (it's a little hovabator still-air), closed the lid and turned it down quite a bit. Then i checked again about 2 hours later and it is was at 104!!! What the heck is going on????? does anyone have any idea??? and do you think it could have killed the goslings????

Thanks.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    The temp goes up the further the chicks are in the eggs-thats what I read-juast keep turning it down a touch and keep the humidty up there

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I agree, as the chick/duckling/gosling comes to the end of his/her time in the egg, the temperature rises therefore raising the temp in the incubator.

All you can do is monitor it and turn it down a bit. U sure you twisted the correct way and did not accidentally turn it up. Mine seems backwards to me. I would open it up and let the eggs cool down a bit then when the temp drops below 99, replace the lid and turn it till you see the light go off and hear a click. THEN, monitor the temp. It should stay around 99 then

4. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    thanks for the advice. do you think they are ok?

5. M0therGoose

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    and could it mean one of them is close to hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by