temp too cool...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stellas mommy, Sep 25, 2011.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    will it make development slower for the babies inside the egg? hatching day has come and gone and i opened an egg (i know..) and it was far too small still. how long can i keep them in the incubator? just until they are ready to hatch? or what do i do?

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Lower temp can cause a delay in hatch. What day were they supposed to hatch on, what was the low temp, and for how long was it low?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    What day were the eggs set and what kind of eggs? What has your temperature been? How about humidity? Lower incubator temps will cause later hatches, but super late hatches tend to not thrive well. How small was the one you opened?

4. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    the hatch date was 3 days ago. The temp was about 95 degrees. We went on vacation for about a week and asked our room mate to watch them and he obviously didnt.

The egg I opened looked like it had about a week to go.

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    You could water test them... Think there is a sticky at the top of the forum about how to go about that. I would say to give them an extra week from today. Did the one you open move or kick around a bit or was it a goner before you even opened?

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Yea, 95 degrees is about 5 degrees to cool. Just leave 'em in there for another 5-7 days, then candle. When to lockdown? I don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by