Temp under broody hens...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So I took some eggs out from under my broody silkie hen yesterday to candle them and the temp under her was DEFINITELY more than 99-100 degrees!!

The outdoor temp was about 88 degrees at the time. The eggs were extremely warm to touch...much more so than when I take them out of my bator to candle when the bator is set to 100 degrees.

This, along with previous higher bator temps, confirms my suspicion that my bator need to be set to the high end of the hatching range. I really think that my poor hatches have been due to too low temps.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take my probe meat thermometer out and put it underneath her for a while and see exactly what the temp is. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the eggs under her weren't fertile so I had to pull them out. BUT, I have some in my bator on day 4 that have embryos in them so I'll put 4 of them under her!! I don't think she's gonna stop brooding until she hatches chicks without a major intervention. [​IMG]

2. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    I'm interested to see what your meat thermometer says.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

That's kind of serial......... using a meat thermometer on a LIVE chicken.... LOL [​IMG]

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    All of a sudden I got the mental image of an egg with one of those pop up timers to tell when they are ready to hatch!!! [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So I checked the temp late this afternoon and it was 102.2. The outside air was 85 degrees at the time but we had a high of 93 today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by