Temp was 104 this morning!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kttodd, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kttodd

kttodd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    UGH! The temp in our incubator was 104 this morning when I got up. It's a still air bator, and we have it set at 101-102 steadily. I don't know how it got up to 104. Do you think they chicks will have died??? Thanks in advance!

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd give it some time, I had a few early spikes early on in the incubator period, the chicks were still alive when I candled on day 18. I'm currently on day 20 so hopefully they'll hatch soon.

3. kttodd

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    Thanks. Do you know if when you candle the eggs if you turn them slowly if the dark shadow and veins are supposed to move with the egg, or are they stationary?

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Mine moved, I assumed it meant it was alive.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They should be fine. Remember still air hatching is higher and read at top of eggs. So your 104 reading meant the egg temp probably hit 102. Internal egg temp of 104 kills the embryo. I had problems last year with temp fluctuations then it dawned on me to hold the furnace temp constant. We have a programmable thermostat so would turn down at night. I know right? So silly of me.

6. kttodd

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    Ya, the problem is we have the eggs in the laundry room and their isnt a way to keep the temp back there constant. I hope they are still ok though!

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Move your incubator out of the laundry room. Put in a better constant temperature room with well covered windows. Solar heating is a big problem too. I don't even bother trying to hatch come late spring or summer...temperature fluctuates too much unless controlled by furnace and blankets over that room's window. I suppose I could use the basement for steady temps but meh, one good early spring hatch works for us.

Good Luck and again, I'm betting your eggs are fine with that minor temp spike.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by