temp way to high! will they live???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woogie g3, Sep 30, 2010.

1. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    ok so i went and checked on my bator and one thermomter said 108 other two said about 103 or 104. it is day 19 and i think the temps where only high for about 1 hour. do u think the eggs will make it???

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Probably fine. The chick its self has to get to 104 to die. That takes a while. I have had spikes of 107 that they made it threw just fine.

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

I am SOOOO glad to see this thread and your post rebelcowboysnb! I have a LG that keeps spiking and I had one of 107! I almost quit the hatch but prayed and kept going. How long does it take in your experience for the egg/chick to get up to 104,. I am at home so I check the temp frequently and caught all the spikes in less than an hour ,.. but one was over a few hours.

woogie g3 may I ask what kind of bator you are using?

4. woogie g3

woogie g3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    it is just a little giant. the Styrofoam find

5. rebelcowboysnb

I know they can handle 104 for several hours, 107 for over an hour an 120 for a few minutes. I wouldn't push those numbers though. I may run a test on my website about this at a later time to see haw fast an egg absorbs a temp spike. I know a way of doing it but I dont have the cash or lab space at the moment.

6. BayouPoules

I really look forward to that study,...

I too have the LG still air,.. it really hasn't been worth the money paid for it,.. but I just don't have the $ right now for anything better.
    I think I've lost my chicks to that last 107 spike,.. it was too long before I caught it. [​IMG]

I see chicks,. but no movement.

Oh well,..

7. rebelcowboysnb

Nothing really wrong with an LG it the still air part thats the issue. Heres why, http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

Your
    best investment would be a PC case fan an a 12 volt power plug.

8. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    happy to see this thread, its really good info to have and know about.. I always fear when the temp goes to 101.. LOL but now I guess I can sigh a relieve..

9. BayouPoules

Quote:OK!
    I read it,.. I understand it,.. I can get the fan and DH can put it in,..[​IMG]
    Thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by