Temp. With Computer Fan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by griswolfy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. griswolfy

griswolfy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Nor. Cal.
    Hello, I just put a computer fan in my LG by the window, its pointed so the air goes up and it circulates. The problem is I have the Thermostat all the way down and the temp is at like 103.5 I thought the extra lights on the fan was to warm so I disconnected them and it is still way to hot what can I do?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Do you have both red plugs out ?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Hopefully you don't have your eggs in there yet! It could be that the fan motor is raising the temps. The pic I showed you before was a very small fan. You can get a light dimmer/rheostat to adjust the speed of the fan, and see if that helps.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The red plugs don't really affect the temp all that much unless the bator is in a drafty area. If you have the eggs in already and need to fix it now you can put a regular table fan or the like in the room to try and get it down. or just turn the fan off till you can get a dimmer.

5. griswolfy

Nov 19, 2008
    Nor. Cal.
    Yes I have both plugs out and I don't have eggs in I just had some hatch and will be getting some soon though. It's a 80mm computer fan.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know what size that is [​IMG] is it one of the big ones that has the fan dead center with the front and back open? You could try changing the cord with one that has a lower amp output, that would help until you can get a dimmer. I'm almost positive it's the motor on the fan that is raising your temps.

7. griswolfy

Nov 19, 2008
    Nor. Cal.
    It doesn't seem that big to me. But it does have the fan in center with front and back open.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It doesn't have to be 'big' to raise the temp in that small an area. Especially when it is closed in. Maybe try and put it on the side of the bator, with a space behind it? That's the way most mount that type of fan. You can use some hardware cloth to enclose the blade, as it looks like those are pretty open.

9. griswolfy

Nov 19, 2008
    Nor. Cal.
    I have a space in between the window and fan thats about 3/4''. Ill try and find a smaller volt transformer. The one I am using output is 3.7 volts and that seems pretty low.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by