1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kenny7673, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kenny7673

kenny7673 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    hillsboro
    my incubator temp keeps going from 100 to about 101. will that hurt the hatch rate?

2. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    If it is still air, you should be okay. If it's forced air, you ought to adjust the temperature so that you don't cause an early or deformed hatch.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Depends if it's a still air or a fan assisted bator....

Fan assisted should be 99.5 or as close to it as possible, so if you have a fan assisted bator, your temps are a bit high. 100 won't do any harm, but getting up to 101 will probably have your chicks hatching a day early and could maybe affect your hatch rate or cause the chicks some minor problems. Not definitely, just maybe. Try to keep your temps as close to what they should be as possible...

Still air should be (I think!) 101.5 measured at the level of the tops of the eggs, so if your bator is still air, your temps are a bit low. Which could have them hatching a day or so late, and ditto for all the other advice...

So which kind of bator is it you've got then?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. kenny7673

kenny7673 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    hillsboro
    its a hovabator still air. thats good to know i was kinda worried.thank you so much. i havent hatched out chicks since i was a kid so its kinda like doing it for the 1st time again. i remeber my grandmother hatching them out on top of our wood burner. i dont know if anyone else has seen or done that but she always had great hatch rates.

5. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Accurate and great info.

6. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have a Little Giant with a fan and have 28 guinea eggs and 9 chicken eggs. They are on day 18. I have removed some chicken eggs that were seeping and one guinea egg that was stuck to the rail and part of the shell came off when we got the egg loose. This incubator is running at 99 and 43 humidity with no added water, a dry hatch. Thing is, it has run up to 102 at times, usually when it gets hotter outside and the temp in that room goes higher. I have turned it down and turned it down until it is staying reasonably steady at 99. The incubator has not gone up to 102 and stayed for hours and hours, just maybe 3 or 4 at a time. Should the eggs be ok? Thanks, Sylvia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by