Tempature 102-104 degrees f

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Nov 3, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Title says it. i know the tempature is supoose to be 99-100 but my homemade incubater wont go down theres already 3 big holes the size of a golfball on top of the cooler and my humidity is 10% any suggetions to make it write i really dont want to poke anymore holes in it but i could really use help w/ the humidity!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    The more holes you put in it the more the heat is going to stay on. You need to close the holes and the temp should go off. I don't know what your using for heat. What is the temp on top of the eggs?

3. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Do you have a fan installed in it?

4. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    its a homemade styrofoam cooler and i already tryied closing holes up and the temp went up to 120 but my egss werent in it but the tempature is 103 right now n humidty is 10% and no fan its homemade

5. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    What watt light bulb are you using? try a 25, that's what i have.

6. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    [email protected] :

its a homemade styrofoam cooler and i already tryied closing holes up and the temp went up to 120 but my egss werent in it but the tempature is 103 right now n humidty is 10% and no fan its homemade

Some people wire in fans and thermostats to help regulate the temp. You could try that, or I believe that a lot of still air incubators have small holes near the bottom as well as the top to help the air to circulate naturally, maybe someone who has a still air can verify that for me as I am not 100% on that. Keep the holes small so that you can plug and unplug them as needed to regulate humidity, especially during lockdown to get humidity up.

Right now I am guessing that between the heat and large holes in your incubator that your humidity is evaporating too
    quickly. You need to increase the surface area of the water you have in there. I would quick get some extra water in there and then hustle to get that temp down if you already have eggs set. You can always adjust the humidity again, but if you already have eggs in your first concern needs to be getting that temperature down, I believe right around 100 degrees is acceptable for a still air. Once again, hopefully someone with more experience in still air incubation will come along to help you out more than I have, but at least I tried. [​IMG]

7. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    well im freaking out i tried fanning some air into them and my hydrometer fell on some eggs:( [​IMG] one had a crack beyond repair so i opend it its only day one not even the full day yet i saw nothing in the yolk just yellow is that ok and as for the temp its about 104-106 now will they die if i leave it and the yolk was yellow nothing else that i saw was it fertile its not even been a full day and the box said fertile eggs

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i wouldnt worry about humidity till the last 3 days. as for temp.... my still ait styrofom incubator has small holes on each coner on the bottom and one in the middle. on the lid it has two penny sized holes and 6 little holes. whats the temp like in the room the bators in? covering the holes will only heat it up more. what sizle bulb u using??

9. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    40wat will they live if i leave it like that at 104-106

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree try a lower wattage bulb. I use a 15 and that keeps my eggs perfect.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by