Tempature Mishap (Updated Results)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by linebacker, Nov 14, 2008.

1. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    I moved my quail eggs from the incubator (hovabator forced air) to the hatcher (hovabator still air) this morning. The hatcher had been running for two days keeping steady temp and humidity. When we left this morning the temp had steadied for over an hour to 101 degrees. At lunch it was still steady.

When I got home this afternoon at 4:15 the temp had risen to 105. I know the temp raises a degree or so as the chicks get close to hatching. I hatched several batches using this set up and the chicks usually hatch with a temp of 102 (there abouts) but I have never had this many (120) and have never had such a spike.

I moved them back to the forced air temp 100.5 and 75% humidity.

What do y'all think my chances are?

I know 105 is cooking temp and I'll just have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Any advice?

Brad

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Not much advice to give in that situation except wait and see. Mine has spiked several times but usually I get to it fairly quickly. Still, I think quail eggs are a bit more forgiving than chicken eggs so maybe everything will be ok.

3. linebacker

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    I've had nine hatch in the last 20 minutes. The ones that hatched seem to be spread out across the trays at least there is not a distinct pattern of the ones that may have been cooked.
    I feel lucky to get the ones I have so far, but I'm still hoping for more to hatch.

Brad

4. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] Keep us posted!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    wishing you luck....it coudnt have been for long only 4 hours max...if u checked at noon....keep us posted

6. linebacker

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Thanks for y'alls support and good wishes!

Their hatch time was at 8:00 pm last night. As of this morning we have a total of 65 and we have two rocking as I type this. Still not the hatch rate we normally have, but I'll take 50% with a smile and a great sigh of relief.

Brad

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    hopefully more will hatch

8. linebacker

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    We ended up with 80 chicks hatched. One died, so we're left with 79 very healthy chicks. So a 2/3s hatch rate and a 98% survival rating on what I figured would be a total loss. Thanks again to those wishing the best for us!

Brad

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Brad I'm happy to hear you got a good deal still! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by