Tempe Arizona Newbies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tom and Jeanne, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Tom and Jeanne

Tom and Jeanne New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    When we were kids in upstate NY and R.I. respectively, my wife and I had families with backyard chickens for eggs and meat.

50 years later and grandparents now, we are getting back to our roots, but have forgotten most of our "chicken lore," except that I always knew what it meant to "run around like a chicken with it's head cut off" (making a bloody mess!). And Jeanne's mom knew where the phrase "a chicken in every pot" came from, raising kids and backyard chickens in the Great Depression.

We are getting close to being empty-nesters, and we are wanting to live more simply and providently, so we have just brought six chicks for egg laying assuage our "nest withdrawal"--a surprising new activity in my recent retirement. I am training them to come back to the coop from free-ranging by shaking a can of wheat berries and throwing them some treats. (I remember how hard it was to chase and catch chickens when I was a kid, and I don't want to look like an old fool any more than I have to!)

I would love to train them to eat the yummy aphids off our garden greens without eating the greens, but I may be asking for too much restraint.

Our teenager has already made friends with them and they trust her the most, and our young grandkids are fascinated.

We had fun building a coop (we will learn from our design mistakes), and our chicks are about 6 weeks old. We have 2 black sex-link chicks, 2 R.I. Reds, and 2 white (Leghorns?), supposedly all good egg layers who can take the heat, of which we have more than our fair share than our Yankee friends. We have several friends in the neighborhood who successfully raise egg layers, so we are learning from them, but we can only pester them so much. I expect we will be reading and asking lots of questions.

This is gonna be fun...right?

Tom

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tom, this IS going to be fun - welcome to BYC.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Keeping chickens IS a lot of fun. They will return all the love you give them. Chickens are very smart, funny and even affectionate. My girls are lap warmers and I can't sit anywhere without a chicken on my lap!!

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Tom. Glad you decided join to our flock. It's definitely going to be fun. I started with chickens 50 years ago and am a grandparent as well. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. You have a great bunch of layers. Black Sex Links are my favorites; hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Tom and Jeanne

Tom and Jeanne New Egg

Mar 6, 2015
    Our black sex-links are smaller than the RI Reds and Leghorns. They also seem more skittish. Leghorns (the biggest) are the boldest. Normal?
    Or maybe I should explore the forums where questions like this are answered?

Tom

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Leghorns can be the tallest, but they are typically lighter than Black Sex Links and RIRs. Black Sex Links are usually a little lighter than RIRs.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard Chickens flock - hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by