Tempe,AZ homeowners association

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by bantamfan, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bantamfan

bantamfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    This city near Phoenix has a lot of idiots. I had a garden with very large tomato plants with big red tomatos growing and got turned in for having to tall of grass no less. Took the judge a big juicy tomato and pics to get out of it. Idiots. They won't let me have any chickens here, too noisey they claim. Their stinking dogs yap everytime I walk past a house, or go out in my backyard. I came from a rural town in northern AZ and was raised on a cattle ranch, 33 sections, so I hate this place and it's misguided people.
    My wife and I bought a place in the mountains of New Mexico in a community of 199 people, no homeowners, no restrictions, just a wonderful unencorperated town in the mountains, and as soon as I retire, I can raise all the bantams I want, like I did as a kid growing up. I can't wait, just a few more years.[​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    MOVE NOW! [​IMG]

3. hennypennyX12

hennypennyX12 New Egg

Dec 1, 2008
    Hop next door to Mesa....we can have up to 10 chickens on a property of less than 1/2 acre. My twelve hens and not noisy or smelly and my neighbor loves them as much as we do....and the yummy fresh eggs too!

They certainly are much more managable than dogs and a LOT more beneficial....they are truely a "green" animal in my book....they control pests (insects), make wonderful compost and feed us with both meat and eggs, and on top of that, they are great companions and have wonderful personalities.

4. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

HOA's stink. I think the ordinance for a single family home in the city of Tempe is 5 or 6 hens and no roos. HOA's stink. Oh, I said that already.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They also suck and/or blow depending on your favorite expression [​IMG]

6. bantamfan

Nov 20, 2008
    Thanks folks, I didn't think we could have any chickens in Tempe, at least that's what my wife says. But I'd have to have a rooster, that's the most fun of raising chickens. I love seeing what I get for roosters.
    I just don't see why I can't have any chickens, my stinking neighbor has dogs that bark everytime I go out in my backyard and make more noise than a little bantam rooster. Roosters are the ones with all the color to.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    HOA are wrong...why don't we just all let big brother government run our lives. I fail to see how such open minded people can live with themselves telling other folks what to do...oops...guess I will get off my soap box...sister lives in those cookie cutter homes in the Houston area...love my double wide freedom [​IMG]

8. bantamfan

Nov 20, 2008
    Well I checked and found out that you can have chickens in Tempe, but your coop cannot be closer than 75 feet from your nearest neighbor's home, so that lets me out for Tempe. These lots must be only 100 feet wide at the most, probably a little less. I think they did that deliberately to shut me down. ha ha
    At least my other home is on two acres, and no rules, as it's an unincorporated town of 199 souls. If I could only find work there......!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:There are a few homes for sale just to the south of us... between 32nd Street & 36th Street and between Osborn Road and Pinchot. There, folks have chickens running wild in their yards.

And you wouldn't have to move too far.

I'm just wishing I could ever retire.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We deliberately picked an area to live with no HOAs. Sure, there is the occasional loser with 4 trucks in his yard and a mattress on the back porch, but it is still better than having some busy-body all up in your business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by