Temperament of Mandarins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by twixerella, May 17, 2009.

1. twixerella

twixerella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisa
    I've been thinking about getting a few ducks and i noticed that people on the forum are always posting topics about madarins, are they people friendly birds and good for a beginner?

2. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Keeping them somewhat friendly can be done, but it takes a lot of work, everyday. I have three pairs of mandarins and while checking nest boxes, feeding or cleaning the pond i can walk within a few feet of them with out them flying off, but as far as them feeding out of your hand like other tame ducks, its almost unthinkable.

Wood ducks are about the same only more skitish, last year i hatched 5 woodies in the incubator, raised them up like little babies, they would follow me around, eat crickets out of my hand and they would even crawl/jump up on me when i was sitting on the lawn, i turned them out in the aviary when they got old enough and for about the first week or two i could still hand feed them crickets, but one day the wild kicked into them i have never been able to hand feed them, let alone even get really close to them. They are wildfowl, so treat them as such. If you want friendly ducks get some pekins, cayugas or runner ducks or ducks of that sort, they wont leave you alone!!LOL............Jason

3. twixerella

twixerella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisa
    ok, i just thought that madarins were stunning and didn't know if they were friendly or not. thank you:D

4. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Quote:They are a beautiful bird, but can be a little on the wildside!! They are really easy to raise as well. Dont be afraid to ask more questions or do some research on them yourself, then take the plunge and get a pair!! Unless you can find a pair now, i would wait until fall if cost is an issue, they are about 15-25 dollars more a pair right now since its breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by