1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperament question on Silkie Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lynn57, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    I'm considerin buying a show breeding pair of silkies and have heard so many bad things about roosters...I was wondering if the silkie rooster are or can be as aggresive as other breeds. I realize they are all individuals, but on the whole are they known to be gentle or not?

thanks guys

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I know it's not what you want to hear, but any rooster of any breed can be gentle or meaner than heck. It all depends on the bird and how they feel about humans/other animals.

That said, a generalization is that silkies are pretty mellow, especially if they can't see due to their head feathers. If they can't see, they are pretty much disabled and will always be "gentle" because they just plain can't get around well enough to assert a large territory and try to defend it from potential competitors.

3. featheredfriendlover

featheredfriendlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    i have 1 silkie rooster thats nicer than all get out!!! hes one of my most docile roos i got. ive got 11.

4. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    Yeah, they are different just like people are; some are rather sweet and docile while others can be just plain mean! I have about 25 Silkies, several of which are roos, and I have some sweetie pies and some that I threaten to get rid of because of their temperament. [​IMG]

5. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I have 5 Silkie roos. Two are cuddle bugs, One is proud and stand offish but not afraid, One is nutso and acts like everything is going to get him (He survived a dog attack and was one of 4 out of 40 to live) You cant go near him without totally freaking him out. The last one lives with nutso but is bottom roo, he is not social since he was hen raised in the winter and we didnt handle him much. NONE of my Silkie roos are aggressive towards people.
    The worst roosters around here have always been Ameraucanas. My Marans roo is such a sweety and wonderful chick sitter. I can see my youngest RIR becoming hateful in time but I have never had a hateful Silkie. I think you will be just fine with your new pair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by