temperatue question for newby :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Calmay, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Calmay

Calmay New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Hello! I am happy to be trying to hatch babies for the first time! want to make sure I have the temp right so am seeking wisdom
    I bought 2 different hygromter/temperature digital devices and the temperature reads 100.6 (sometimes a little lower but generally around this number). I wanted to make sure by chicken eggs were really at the ideal temperature so also bought a Braun ear thermoscan thermometer to measure egg shells. so the egg shells vary in temp but some of them are 101.6, 100, 101, and lowest was 98.8. I am using a Janoel 10 egg incubator. I did have to adjust the temperature to correct to thermometer readings. my question is: is it best to keep the settings I have based on the thermometer reading next to the eggs OR is the shell temperature really telling me the eggs are a little too hot and at risk? maybe turn down a notch and risk some of the eggs being too low temp OR is it really just the average temperature of different egg shell readings that I should use to guide any changes in settings! LOL I just want to have healthy babies. Thank you all!!!! Chickenless Mother hen

2. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    My incubator runs at 99.8 and i leave it alone and leave it closed.

3. Calmay

Calmay New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    when I candled the eggs at day #14 they are a little small. I think I may have had temperature originally too low?
    My thermostat now says 100.8 so I'll just leave it there but now they may hatch at day 24ish?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are you using a still air incubator or one with a fan?
    For still air, you want the temp to be at about 101, and you need to move the eggs to a different spot every couple of days.
    For an forced air incubator, you want the temp to be about 99.5.

5. Calmay

Calmay New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks for your answers :)
    I am using a small incubator with a fan- I don't think the fan is super strong and read along one of the threads that the Janoel 10 mini egg incubator is more like a still air incubator?
    I'm thinking I might have the right temp now based on their stage of incubation- they seem a little under-developed by 1-2 days but are moving around so alive. I just don't want to cook my darlings.
    Thanks again for any help :)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by