temperature.. can't seem to find a consistent answer!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstar, Apr 25, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I've only been incubating for about.. 24 hours. And its going to be a long 3 weeks because I am getting so paranoid! I see different ideal temperatures depending if its a still air vs fan (I have a still) and then some places say take the temp on the floor, others say on top of the eggs.. and with my searching I'm seeing ideal temps anywhere from 99.5-102, but rarely do I see specifics as to which type of bator, and where the thermometer is. So, I'm stressin! I'm doing a pretty good job staying within that range, with the thermometer on top of the eggs. I just wish I knew exactly what my ideal was, and for which specific thermometer placement! I've searched so many sites and I just can't find a consistent answer. Feel free to slap me and tell me to quit worrying, thats cool too [​IMG] I saw some threads about using a water wiggler and I'm DEFINITELY going to go get one of those tomorrow, as well as a hygrometer. I'm sure that will do wonders for my sanity. (or not.. because won't it take a good while from when the air temp changes to register the change inside the wiggler?

2. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    I do 100-101 on top of the egg

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You definitely need a hygrometer. Buy one from Petco for 4 bucks and look up how to calibrate it. It'll work just fine.

First off, what incubator do you have: a still air or fan?

I have a fan/ forced air and run mine at 100 degrees exactly. The thermometer I use was built in so I can't adjust the placement. I just set it and forget it, as long as the thermometer reads 100 I don't worry. If it gets really hot in the house it might get to 100.5 or if it gets really cold it might read 99... either way I try to fix the house but I don't worry about it.

I do 35-45% humidity for incubation and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

I do 55-65% humidity for hatching and 100 degrees also.

I tend to have good hatch rates so far, I'm working on my 5th or 6th hatch already.

But it depends on your local, altitude, incubator, specie of egg, etc... there are just so many variables you have to find something in the middle and just try it and tweak it to adjust you and your situation.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    Don't stress yourself too much over humidity. I presume you have a Hova or LG. If you have three troughs in the bottom of your bator keep two full until lockdown and then fill the third one as well. As for temp, try to hold 101.5 at the top of the eggs +/- .5 degrees. Good Luck!![​IMG]

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yep! Good answer!

If it is not a forced air (no fan) then the temp should be 101 on top of the egg. Here is a pic to show.
    [​IMG]

The link to the article is here:

http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

6. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Thanks!! Whew, I'm good, its been liking the 101ish area (its so hard to tell by the .5 because 1 line is 2 degrees) today. And yes, its a LG still air. Got a petco nice and close by, getting that hygrometer first thing tomorrow. And hoping the party store next to it will have a water wiggler too. OH! Another question I thought of.. the vent plugs. There's 2, and I can't seem to find any good info, plugged, unplugged, one, both, if just one, does it matter which?

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I use my vents to adjust the humidity, get that dialed in first then worry about them. But remember the eggs and babies need air so as long as your temps and humidity are doing well then I open mine up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by