Temperature changes- is it safe to bring them indoors during winter?

Roostersgalore

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Hi! I have pet chickens, the rooster specifically. He’s a silkie. I got chickens in the summer but now that it is a little below freezing and their coop isn’t insulated (but solid wood) its quite cold out there. I don’t have coop heating yet but it’s normal not to here.

Until now I’ve enjoyed taking him indoors for a lil hang out session, but I’m wondering if it’s okay to do so, as inside the house is warm and there is a drastic temp difference to the coop? I try not to keep him indoors too long, an hour tops. He is acclimated to the cold but the sudden temperature shift I know can be quite bad for other animals like outdoor rabbits.
Any experiences with this? Thoughts? Apart from me hanging out in the coop- not so cozy 🥶

Roostersgalore

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Do you have a garage that's in between in temperature? Maybe bring him in there for a while before bringing him inside. Silkies can take cold, so there isn't any need to bring him inside if you don't want to.
It’s for fun and cuddles- I have pet chickens as in i just have hens to keep him happy. He’s like a tiny feathery dog and is only kept for his good looks and sociable personality. He hates the coop 😂 because he loves exploring the apartment.

Edit: said that to tell you it’s not concern for the cold he’s inside. Im afraid that he’ll get too cold when put back out quickly. We don’t have a garage but maybe the cooler hallway works!

Top Bottom