Temperature drop during hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apomerantz, May 28, 2010.

1. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Today is day 22 and I have already had a ton of hatches and a lot of pips, but I think my temperature just dropped down to about 90ish for maybe an hour! Did this probably shrink wrap my chicks? I guess I will have to wait and watch, but any tips would be great.
    Amy

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    As far as I know, and someone much more experienced will give you a more detailed answer, but a drop in humidity shrink-wraps the chicks. The membranes dry and the chicks can't turn in the eggs to zip or get stuck to it when trying to force their way out. A temp drop at this stage shouldn't be so bad as a huge humidity drop for an extended length of time.

3. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Right before the temperature drop I added some warm water, so I'm fairly sure the humidity stayed up there. Right now I will just keep an eye on them, if it seems like they aren't progressing I will have to step in and help.
    Amy

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I'd give them as long as you can keep your hands off them! If they are viable strong healthy chicks they will hatch just fine, if not, they could be better off without help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by