Temperature Dropped to 98

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyboersarah, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kyboersarah

kyboersarah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Okay I am on day two of incubation..My temp has been going from 98-100.5 Mostly staying in the 99s ... Is this okay so far??? Its holding steady today at 99.5 but this morning when I woke it was 98.6 I am using the little giant with fan and turner unit

Thanks guys!!!

Sarah KY

2. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Mine does that too. Your ok as long as you dont get it below 98. The optimum temp is 99.5 tho. So just adjust as needed. Use vent plugs to your advantage and I also use my house thermostat to adjust the room temp to my advantage.

3. kyboersarah

Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you..I have a digital thermometer that is reading the outside temp and inside temp for now...Room temp is 73 and incubator is reading 99.6 right now...I know when I went to bed last night or should I say this morning at 3 am It was at 99.5 but when I looked at 9 am it was reading 98.6 and even went down to 98.2 so I adjusted slightly...Every so slightly LOL I hate to move the adjustment as its so sensitive..I even broke down and turned my heater on in the house as I noticed at the beginning my house temp was 66..which I was good with but since I was doing the eggs I hated to take a chance..Hubby said he was glad to see the eggs needed to be warmer as he was getting cool LOL I do have both vent plugs in right now...My humidity reader should be arriving tomorrow...I could not find one here...

We are incubating for the first time and my kids are so excited..I am going to feel awful if I dont get anything to hatch! So I am trying to really watch this close!

Thank you so much!!

4. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    My temps trend to drop between late night and early morning so I also up my heat at night. Drives my DH nuts too lol. During the day I lower my heat because of the sun making the house warm. Lol I have woken up with lots of 98.6 degrees. Good luck on your hatch! My first one was very stressful too!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    mine dropped to 97 and all babies are doing fine. kids messed with it but it wasnt that long before i seen it as i check on them at least 3 or more times a day. i use the lg still air and my temps hold at 99-100 humidity thats a whole different story

6. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I had 41 eggs in the bator when Irene hit us. We lost power for a day. I wrapped blankets around the bator but still went down to 87. I thought I lost the batch but felt bad throwing the eggs out since it was day 15. 40 out of the 41 hatched. Watch the temps but dont drive your self crazy Good luck

7. kyboersarah

Aug 17, 2011
    I think I am past crazy [​IMG] But thats normal HAHA You guys are great!! I am so glad I found this forum! I have more chicks arriving Friday thru Hoovers Hatchery as I decided last minute to go ahead and order Red Stars..I am truly addicted! I do hope my incubating turns out great as well..The kids are really wanting silkies..I also have Lavender Orpingtons in this incubating batch..If this goes great that means I need to do more for Christmas HAHA!

Blessings to you all!!
    Happy Chicky Day!!

8. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    You will be very happy with the red star. I heard super things about them. I am also past crazy but thats what makes life fun. I kept 4 of the 40 silkies that hatched, sold the rest and hatched out some more this weekend

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think you are fine. Red Stars are great layers. Good luck and have fun... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    also think what its like for the eggs when a hen sits. she cant sit 24 hours a day for 21 days without gitting up and going to get something to drink and eat and poo. i'm sure eggs drop to lower temps than that before she gets back to sitting on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by