Temperature for brooder box???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Anyway, I got my brooder box (a 66qt container), a clamp on light $5.00 from target and 60 Watt light since I was told 60 Watts was sufficient.

How hot is the brooder box supposed to be? I'm testing it right now w/o wood shavings, and it is around 70 degrees.

2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Hi Myname! The first week you'll want the temperature 90-95 degrees. (I keep it at 95* for my silkies the first week.) Then, you lower the temperature by about 5 degrees each week untill the are feathered. Make sure it is warmed in certain areas of the brooder (under the light) and cooler in other areas so they can move themselves around to find a comfortable temperature.
    -You might want to start with a 75 watt bulb and just lower the clamp until your thermometer temperature says 90. In the following weeks you can raise up the light and also put a lower wattage bulb in place to get the desired temperature.
    -Some people don't use a thermometer, but just watch the chicks to see if they are huddled (meaning they're cold) or spread out panting (meaning they are too hot.)

I have an interesting situation in my brooder, right now. I have (4) 2 & 1/2 week old silkies in there and I just added (2) week old silkies last Friday. I was worried that the babies would need their own brooder because of the different temperature need. But no, all the chicks sort of spread themselves out in the spot that feels "just right" to them. Sometimes one of my nurturing "older chicks" will even go lay next to one of the babies who are usually closer to the light. Hope you enjoy your babies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  3. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    ...speaking of wood shavings! I just use paper towels in my brooder because it is so easy to clean up and change 2x a day. I don't like how the wood shavings get stuck to the feathers of my silkies feet (and get glued on with the poop). I have shelf liner in the very bottom of the brooder and then cover it all with the paper towels. Maybe I'm a neat freak. My chicks love when I clean the brooder because I put them in a laundry basket in a sunny window. I put a big bowl of chick scratch and mealworms in with them and they have SO much fun. It's like playtime and snacktime for them.

Here is a picture of them enjoying some California sunshine.....You should see them lay down and sunbathe-LOL[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    okay. thanks for the idea. the people @ the farm gave me a free bag of pine shavings & food

5. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I love that picture!!!! [​IMG]

6. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    okay. thanks. the clamp light says only use a 60 watt light... hmm.
    i only have RIR chicks... or will have them..hopefully in 15 days or so... I'm still early in the incubation hatch. I just love being extra prepared. lol. In case of any emergencies come up at the end of the incubation,,,

I lowered the lamp closer to the bottom of the cage, still a great distance from the bottom and it reached 90 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    That was super nice of them! Yeah for free stuff. I've used wood shavings for my other chicks with no problem (RIR, BO, PBR, CX), but the silkies have so many feathers on their feet and toes that I'm constantly "washing feet" and picking out wood pieces. Oh well, we have so many bonding moments that way. I have one chick with PastyButt and everytime I peek in the brooder he runs over to see me like, "Is it time to get my butt cleaned and oiled???????????". [​IMG]

Good luck with the rest of your hatch. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Can you lower the light into one corner so it radiates the heat into a confined area? Try that and place your thermometer right around where the chicks bodies would be for a reading of the corner. That is the best way to "focus" the heat to boost the temperature. 60 watts should be fine and RIR's are tough little birds.

9. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Don't use a higher wattage bulb than what the fixture is rated for. Heat lamp fixtures will have a ceramic light socket body. Fixtures rated for lesser wattage will have a plastic or thin metal socket housing that will melt when using high heat/wattage bulbs. This is one of the instances when fire is not your friend.

10. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    i know not to put a high bulb in, i lowered the lamp already and the heat went up to exactly 90 degrees. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by