1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperature for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Saroco, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

What temperature should the brooder be for day-old chicks? I'm getting my girls next week!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    They say 95, if you go to the information part of this website, it will give some info on taking care of chicks or if you go on Murray MacMurray's website they also have a good outline of what to do the first couple of months. I just went through it. Good luck.
    j

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A rough guideline is 90-95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week until such time you are down to 70 degrees (end of week five) at which time your chicks should not require supplemental heat.
    A better way to tell is to watch your chicks. Chicks that are too cold will be huddled under the heat source, peeping loudly. Chicks that are too warm will be as far away from the heat source as possible, sometimes panting and holding their little wings out. Chicks that are mingling about, sometimes under the heat, sometimes not, are comfortable.

4. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I agree. I was tearing my hair out trying to keep the chicks at 95. They hated it. Too hot. Now I just watch them. They have lots of room to escape if it does get too hot, but I just make sure some are under the light sometimes, some are away from the light, sometimes they are all away from the light, sometimes they are all under it. I figure if they are going back and forth, it must be OK.

Congratulations and Good luck! What kind of chicks are you getting?

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    start at 90 F.
    They say to go down 10 degrees everyweek. But normally I just lower the wattage of the light bulb.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Good luck! I agree that watching them is the best way. You will see.

7. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Allright! Thanks! I am getting:2 Buff Orpingtons (Jess and Big Bertha), 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes(Amelia and Elsie) , 1 Austrolorp (Gertrude), 1 Red Star (Ethel), and 1 White Plymouth Rock. (Florence) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by