1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperature for Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jullom, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jullom

jullom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I am going to raise some meat birds this year. I want to put them in a tractor that i can move each day - they won't have any "indoor" area and i don't want to get them too early as far as temperature is concerned. I know i'll keep the chicks indoores with 90 degree for a couple weeks, but what does the temperature need to be outdoors - at night - for it to be okay to move them outside. thanks,

2. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I recieved a batch in late November. I put them out in the tractor from day one, with heat of course for the first month. I removed all heat in December.
    We've had exceptionally cold temps (near single digit) for 2 weeks. They did fine. Actually seemed to enjoy the cold. Their metabolism is so high I think they generate enough heat on their own. The ONLY problem I had was keeping their water from freezing.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I plan on getting my meaties very soon. I will keep them indoors (garage) for a week maybe two. Then they'll go outside in a coop with a heat lamp. As long as they have a draft free area and a heat lamp, they'll be fine.

4. jullom

jullom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I'm hoping to simply use a "predator-safe" caged area that i can move daily around some pasture - I don't expect to have an indoor "coop". So i guess the question is - at a couple weeks of age, what temperature lows can they handle to be be moved totally outside...I can get electric to the pasture and put some heat lamps for them to lay under, but that is about all i plan on doing...any thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by