1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

temperature for hens to lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jack123, Nov 20, 2007.

1. jack123

jack123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2007
    i have a shed that is heated by 250 watt lamp 24/7 days a week
    and individual 60 watt lamps in each secition .. my hens have not laid yet ... it's about 60 degrees inside .. it's also winter here with shorter days ..

i was wandering what the ideal temperature for the hens to lay?

any info would be great thanks !

2. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I think it has more to do with daylight hours. Like 14 hours or more of light per day.

How old are your hens? they generally start laying 4 to 6 months of age.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  3. jack123

Nov 15, 2007
    thanks for the help .. i got one that's two years old and one that is 10 months ..

4. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    jack123,
    Gardner is right. Amount of daylight hours is what keeps them laying all winter long. They will slow down in all extremes but a young hen should lay all winter. I have a new 15 watt florescent flood light with 65 watts of light output on a cheap $5.00 timer set to come on at 5:00 am. the florescent bulbs start out very low and get brighter in a few minutes. Let them go to roost naturally as the sun sets. Had hundereds of chickens when I was a kid and now have a mix of about 40 Hens and 1 Roo. I get about 30 eggs a day, some are older ones. I never have heated a hen house, they produce a lot of heat if you have a few together for body heat. If you have only 2-4 hens you should just a have a smaller coop for them to help hold there heat in.
    Good luck.

5. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    You said they havent laid yet, so at that age I guess you just got them? they might need some adjustment from just being moved and settle in to a new environment before they start laying again, if that is the case.
    You probably shouldnt have to heat your coop at that age either.

6. jack123

Nov 15, 2007
    thanks for the info guys .. yea i just got the hen not too long ago .. i got one about two and half weeks ago and one about one week ago .. so i'm thinking maybe they need the time to adjust to my place ..

the older hen is starting to make her nest already .. digging into the hay .. so hopefully that is a good sign .. i'm tryin to produce
    baby chicks and not eggs to eat ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by