Temperature For the Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keisha, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    My mom was at the feed store a couple weeks ago and bought a Little Giant Still Air Incubator M odel 9200 and a turner to go with it. So we are gonna try some of our eggs in it and see if they hatch. But today we want to do a test run to see what we have to have it set at to maintain the right temperature. So my question is, for chicken eggs, what temperture is it best to have it inside the incubator?
    And does anyone have any expierance with this particular incubator? If so, is it any good?
    I'll appreciate any answers,
    Keisha

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

still air temp is 100.5. I don't use little giants tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
  3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have a homemade incubator and I use a accurite thermometer with the probe in a water wiggler and it's set at 99.5

4. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Thankyou both.

5. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay so i have another question. It says that I am supposed to turn the temperature up all the way, then wait untill it gets to the temperature. Then it says gradually turn it down until it reaches the desired temperature. So since when i had it turned up al the way it was 120 degrees F. I turned it down a little and then i was gonna wait for it to turn to that temperature. And then keep doing it till it got down to the right temp. But the red light went off and it will only turn back on when i have the nob turned up so that the temp is all the way up. I am confused by this. Whats going on?

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I don't have the type you have but I do have a r-com 20. The red light on mine means that the heater is on at that time. when it reaches the temp the red light goes off. Not sure if thats how yours works someone on here that has your type if incubator will chime in shortly.

7. Krazy

Krazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    California
    I had the same problem. The red light flickering off and on is when the heat source is on. It will go on and off to maintain the same heat that your putting it on. Keep turning it until it goes to 99.5 degrees. Make sure you have a steady humidity of 50%.

It takes 21 or 23 days for a chicken to fully hatch from an eggs.
    ( Do not open the incubator after you set the eggs for the first 3 days. Also, make sure you let the eggs rest for 6-24 hours before setting it into the incubator. )
    On the last three days add water until it reaches 70%-85% humidity.
    Open all red vent holes as well. Don't open your incubator until the you know it fully hatch.

The two (red) vent holes on top is to keep your humidity right incase its to high. Open one ( top ) off.

I have the same incubator as you. [​IMG]

Note: Chicks don't need to be fed for 3 days after hatch. <-- I always forget [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  8. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay, Just so that its normal. I was hoping it as nothing bad, I really didnt want to have to take it back.

Also, make sure you let the eggs rest for 6-24 hours before setting it into the incubator.

So before I put eggs in my incubator I let them sit out? But wouldnt they get cold that way?

Thanks for the info, btw what did you hatch out of your incubator?​

9. Hi Keisha!
    I have 3 LG 9200's and I always thought it peculiar that the LG instructions say 100.5 and every other source says 101.5 at egg height for *no fan / still air incubating*. I keep mine at 101.5.
    I've never needed to use the 'vent plugs'.
    I'd recommend getting a thermometer / hygrometer(hydrometer?) if you don't have one --- I have had several brands, but Accurite has been accurate the longest.

Depending on your location and seasonal conditions there, you might need to do things differently.

The resting period is for eggs that have been shipped, and may need to settle because the air cell is out of place (but I've found if an air cell is out of whack, no amount of sitting will make it right.)
    If you are incubating fresh eggs that haven't travelled cross-country, you don't need to rest them --- they can go straight from the hen into the bator.

"Thanks for the info, btw what did you hatch out of your incubator?"
    I have chicks hatching here every Friday --- Barred Rocks, Ameraucanas, Japanese, Naked Necks, Cochins, Silkies, & Modern Games.

Good luck!
    If you can find someone in your area that has been successful at artificially incubating eggs, you can use their methods (like I did when I started), then tweak it to fit for your house (every house is different and location in a house can change results).

Best of luck hatching!
    Lisa

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Lisa on the temp..it should be 101-102 for still air models.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by