Temperature & Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty Dozen, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Has anyone out there used the temp/humidity thingy that hangs on a cord into the bator but registers outside?
    I'm getting a reading that the humidity is 10% but the temp is fine. I also installed a fan which is blowing right on it and maybe that's why the reading is so low? I now snaked the cord so it's laying on one side of bator on some eggs away from fan. Another register inside bator reads 42%. Anybody have this problem? there's only one hole to put it into on the hovabator. ? Thanx!

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Are you sure this unit is supposed to read remote humidity? I know on some kinds the remote sensor only reads temperature. Stick the whole thing in the incubator and see if the humidity reading changes.

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    X-2 0nthat most remote sensors are for Temp..The body is for humidity and indoor temp...cva34

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    There are some dual probe hygrometer /thermometers on the market in reptile supplies. I saw one last night while researching lol. It looked pretty cool.

Most of them however, only read temperature by the single probe and the actual unit itself will read humidity in the room or outdoors (wherever they are placed). I have a decent one I got from walmart that does that it is called Accu-rite. It is pretty accurate.

5. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    It has a long cord. Bought it through incubator warehouse. Supposed to hang probe through top hole. Doesn't fit in other hole cause that's where the wafer is. Winds up hanging under fan I installed. Lengthened cord inside & laid it down by eggs. Still only 10%. Put in a different one which takes up some room & it reads 45%. Maybe if I drop it in a pot of water? :)

6. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I looked it up. It does read humidity remotely. Must be defective. I'd contact the seller for a replacement.

7. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    I emailed them. we'll see what happens. thanx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by