1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperature in forced air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Jan 29, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I have my forced air set up and regulating the temperature to 99.5 it don't seem to hold a steady temperature but fluctuates between 99.3 and 99.7 is this OK especially if it does that the whole 21 days? I am collecting eggs from one particular hen so it will take about 7 to 10 days before I set them and I want to be right before I commit them to the incubator. These chicks I will keep with my other chickens but this is a trail run for some turkey eggs I want to purchase and hatch so I want to get everything right as possible. I have 7 to 10 days to get it regulated. I am using a Hova Bator 2362N with egg turner and a fan motor.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    that's fine as incubating temperature is to do with the internal temperature of the egg not the heat around the egg. Even a degree plus or minus swing doesn't have that large of a affect on the internal temperature.

what a lot of people don't realize is that the temperature controllers are programmed to average the temperature over a period of time so the controller tells you that you have a stable 99.5 when in fact its constantly swinging above and below the set point. The more the controller averages the smaller the swing looks which is why some controller look like they take forever to get back up to temperature after the incubator is open then suddenly jump up to the set temperature.

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    So it is OK to shut it down and then fire it back up about 24 hours before I set the eggs? I plan to set eggs February 4 for a February 25 hatch.

4. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    24hrs should be fine.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a Hovabator 1588. It is forced air. The temp your sitting at is fine....plug it in the day before you set the eggs and get the humidity set right and then put in your eggs.....

Best of luck with your hatch......

Cheers!

6. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Thanks for the replies temperature holding 99.5 but does fluctuate between 99.3 to 99.7 so I am satisfied with that number.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Mine also goes up and down a tiny bit too....as long as it never goes over 100 your fine.......

Cheers!

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know your back ground, but in case you do not have a lot of experience hatching, I will add this----go with this setting, if your eggs hatch on time---you are good, if late or early you will need to adjust the temp for your next hatch so your eggs hatch on time. Good Luck

9. as110

as110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2017
    Falkland BC
    I have 102F in forced air. How can I lower the temp to 100?
    This is my fixed up insulated home made box. The first one could not get the humidity up and it was still air.
    The previous one had a 40W bulb but I had to cover it with blankets. I don't want to use blankets to reduce fire hazards so I replaced the bulb with 60W. I think the 40W without blankets will be too low but not sure if the fan will help with that.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. Roward74023

Roward74023 Out Of The Brooder

I like dimmer switches in my homemade bators. So far only styrofoam and light bulb type setups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by