Temperature inside brooder for new chicks

strohman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
My wife and I are new to raising chickens and we are going to get some baby chicks this week. We met a lady at TSC who talked to us about raising chickens and chicks. She mentioned that you need to have the brooder a specific temperature for each week that the chicks get older. Can someone tell me what temperature I should try to get the brooder to start out and what temp should it be as they get older? We are keeping them in our basement so they will be warm, but not as warm as they might need to be.

Any info would be appreciated!

My wife and I are new to raising chickens and we are going to get some baby chicks this week. We met a lady at TSC who talked to us about raising chickens and chicks. She mentioned that you need to have the brooder a specific temperature for each week that the chicks get older. Can someone tell me what temperature I should try to get the brooder to start out and what temp should it be as they get older? We are keeping them in our basement so they will be warm, but not as warm as they might need to be.

Any info would be appreciated!

Not necessary to regulate the temp like that. Put the heat source on one end of the brooder. Leave the other end heat-free. The chicks will go to whichever spot is most comfortable for them. They regulate themselves!
smile.png

Stick a thermometer under the lamp just to test. Lay it right on the bedding floor. If your heat source can keep a "spot" or circle close to 90F then you're good to go. No need to fuss at all. The chicks self regulate as ladycat says.

At the 3 week mark, reduce the wattage of the bulb by half. Then at week 5, reduce again. This step down of the wattage matches their needs and prepares them transitionally for their life outdoors.

You'll also find that red bulbs reduce their agitation. Many folks find that white bulbs excite them. Any red colored bulb at Home Depot or Lowes.

I normally start with the standard 250watt Red bulb but only if they're in a cold environment. Your basement may be too warm for more than 125 watt bulb. You'll just have to test and adjust. I quickly transition to a 125 and then on down to a 90 or 75 for finishing up. Just wish the red decorator bulbs weren't so high priced.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom