Temperature Layering in Brinsea Ova Incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ryu, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    So I am paranoid and added three temp/humidity detectors in my Brinsea Ova one one each shelf.

The temp. drops one full degree from the 1st to 3rd shelf! (Yes, I switched the detectors around and got the same temperature range.) That was empty, nothing to impede airflow.

I'm becoming really unimpressed with this unit. I needed to put the eggs in so I chose the middle shelf (where I was calibrating previously). I suppose the first candling in a few days will tell.

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi is the door sealing properly on it, beings they are made of plastic they sometimes get sort of a twist in them, what is the room temp the bator is in??
    are the magnets on the door intact or are they pulling off the door by chance, which will not hold it shut tight if they are.

these are Just a few things you can check, i know ours we had never had a problem with it holding temp until these issues i mentioned started happing..

what is the temp reading on the units readout itself..which i found in ours to be very accurate in temps itself

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Thermal layering should never happen in a forced air incubator of any size. The only thing that I know it could be is a weak fan. If it was a leak or a cold room it would ether never get to temp or fluctuate. Can you see threw the door? If you cant, cover the opening with clear plastic an pump it full of smoke or fog an see how the air is moving.

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We noticed the door problems when we put it together and fixed that. If I pless all four corners, the magnetic strip is shutting tight and staying shut. It is in the heated basement, right about 70F and a steady humidity of 38%. It's up off the ground on a wooden end table, out of any drafts.

I can feel the air blowing around on the bottom level when I fill the lower humidity tray (I had to add a small one to get it over 45% in the chamber).

I needed to put the eggs in, so I'm just going to go with it for now. I set the unit based on the middle shelf, so I suppose they will be ok there. I was expecting much better temperature control considering the cost of the unit.

I've left the breeding pens as they are, and am recollecting just in case the early candling doesn't go well. I have eggs coming from another breeder in March, I hope I have this thing figured out by then.

No one else has seen this in the Brinsea units? I hope we don't have a lemon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by