Temperature question from North woods Maine by canada

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Phoenix rizing, May 23, 2019.

1. Phoenix rizing

Phoenix rizing In the Brooder

May 23, 2019
    Have almost two wk old chicks what is the lowest temp they can handle outside in an enclosed coupe with enclosed cozy tire (rigged up with propping open the inner part of tire) also with cedar shavings such by the way work best so far for heat retention and the tire?? That speaks for itself that heat lamp warms it nicely..coupe is protected no wind with brooding light right over the tire...temp stayed at around 68 inside tire I found last night checking every 2 hrs but my birds have allot of feathers already but still fuzz and tubes starting on neck out n by way they can already fly lol kinda like a turkey but I have four breeds but all purchased specifically to my region which is basically Canada in northern North Maine what's lowest outside temp at night can they withstand with heat light and the set up I have.. I have twelve n two ducks n no more space inside for them but outside to their coupe which is baby proofed for wind n rain already that will change when older... well I mean ventilation coming in and out...

2. Well, the recommendation for temp where the chicks are would be about 80F. And no drafts. But they also need a way to get away from the heat. Oh, yes indeedy. But since i read you are crafty, i suggest you search "mother heating pad". This could be perfect. You use a heating pad and create a sort of cave by fashioning it over wire or even a dish drainer. The directions on how to set it will be in that post. You won't need the lamp and the chicks can cuddle underneath it and stay as warm as they need. Then when they are too warm they hop out from under. Many people here absolutely swear by this heating method. The biggest catch is that you have to find a heating pad that doesn't turn off automatically. This if you want something warmer.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. Phoenix rizing

May 23, 2019
    I
    I'll post a pic of our out of box thinking tomorrow I'm on wrong device

4. Would be good to see.

5. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    I'm a newbie too - but my understanding is that cedar is a respiratory irritant for chickens - so you really want pine shavings.

Phoenix rizing likes this.
  6. Phoenix rizing

May 23, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: