Temperature requirements when gathering eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DavidKerk, Mar 23, 2013.

1. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I am going to be in incubating eggs this april. I live in MI so it could be 40 degrees or more. Is this going to kill the embryo even before I start incubating? Also, do I need something to measure humidity in the 'bator or can I just keep the moisture rings full and call it good?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Forty degrees is more than fine. Just collect as frequently as you can and store them at 55 degrees for the days you will be storing. I don't recommend storing the eggs for more than 7 days. When storing I don't measure the humidity I just try and make sure it's not real dry. When incubating measuring the humidity is very important. I keep mine between 45%RH-55%RH for the first 187 days of incubation. During day 18 to the end I keep it at a minimum of 65%RH. As a side note make sure your hands have been washed before handling the eggs you want to incubate. If you don't the dirt and oil on your hands will clog the pores on the egg. Good luck incubating[​IMG]

3. DavidKerk

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, brahamabreeder! So what do I use to measure the humidity? How much do these cost?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Michigan air is usually moist enough. Incubating at 30% humidity is pretty good and our air is often more moist than that. Lots of folks don't use water or use very, very little during the first 17 days.

At day 18, I then fill the water rings. Study on the "dry incubating" methods. I think you'll find it interesting.

We've been gathering and hatching right through the Up North winter. We store in our 55F basement, rotating the tilt of the egg carton three times a day. Then, we bring them upstairs, bring them up to room temperature for 8 hours just before setting.

5. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    BRAHMA BREEDER: I know them Brahmas are big birds but:

Quote: What in the world are you hatching?? [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  6. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    HAHA my bad I didn't read over what I typed

7. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I use a hydrometer from walmart. It's like $7 and its digital with temp.

8. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    I'm shopping for one also. Is this in the pet department or where the thermometers are located?

9. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I think it was where the thermometers and all that stuff is.

10. DavidKerk

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks everybody for the posts!!! Another question, is lockdown day 18, 19, 20, and 21 or is it day 19, 20, and 21? Also what humidity level should I try to get it to during lockdown. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by