temperature - shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moglet, Oct 25, 2016.

1. moglet

moglet Chirping

Oct 22, 2016
    UK
    Hi, I have 5 fertile eggs in my incubator (Brinsea octagon eco) When I ran it for a few days prior to putting eggs in it stayed around 37.5 C. Now after taking out 9 that were quitters the temp is staying around 37.2 (difficult to say exactly when its a mercury thermometer) I tried to increase it a little and watched it for about 10 minutes and it stayed around 37.5 so I went out to put the chickens to bed and came in to check it and it had gone up to about 38 .0C albeit only for about 10 minutes! so I quickly turned it down to 37.2 approx, but I am firstly worried that this temporary increase may have harmed the eggs (that was on day 8) and secondly should I just leave the temperature as it is for the remainder of the hatch (on day 11 now) I am scared of trying to increase the temperature again and as it's been running at just 0.2 of a degree lower should this be ok. I am in the UK and these are shipped eggs that had detached air cells. I intend candling on day 14 to check air cells again and mark them.I have been reading Sally Sunshines thread on shipped eggs and I am doing what she suggests, really informative post thank you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Whilst I do not claim to be anything but a novice at using incubators, I would not imagine that such a small difference in temperature, for a relatively short period of time will have done any lasting damage. If you go to the Brinsea site, then to FAQs and then to "what to do if there's a power cut" (or some such title) it will give you critical temperatures - that should help. Here's a screen shot of the pdf that will hopefully put your mind at ease.

[​IMG]

Sorry, its fuzzy - as i say, its a screen shot. Personally, i would proceed with normal hatching protocol.

3. moglet

moglet Chirping

Oct 22, 2016
    UK
    Thank you so much for replying I've been worried about these eggs since the day they arrived! 2 were cracked on opening, and now 5 left so if I get one hatch I'll be happy! Thank you for posting the temperature info, I'll look at that and hope for the best!.
    Thanks again so glad I joined this group. Carole

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Most welcome, Carole. Royal Mail / Parcel Force are not what they once were, so i do hope that you get some hatches!
    Best of luck
    CT

5. moglet

moglet Chirping

Oct 22, 2016
    UK
    Thank you I'll let you all know (whether it's good or not so good)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by