Temperature spike in Hova Bator 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Little Cluckers, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Little Cluckers

Little Cluckers Keep Calm and Buy Chickens

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I am at day 12 and I woke up this morning to a bad temperature spike--112-- (Nooooooooo!) in the Bator. Its a Hova Bator 1588. I re-toggled the temperature rocker switch and am waiting to see if that works.

Question: all the switches were down, except 6--which was up. Is that the proper factory setting?

I had it running for 2 weeks before I added the eggs and the temperature was holding very even at between 99.5 and 100.

Also--why does this happen? it seems to happen to others with some frequency.

I guess all I can do is wait and candle and see if I have any survivors. Major bummer!

2. Little Cluckers

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Omg-- now the temperature has gotten down into the 80's and the indicator light is not coming on at all. Has power. 20+ eggs down the tubes....

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    You are speaking of exactly why I seldom pull out my incubator. That and several other reasons are why I keep a few broodies along with my primary egg breed. I don't know why they spike, but I can guess that if your house temp took a huge downward turn, it would have also affected the temp in the incubator.
    Now did they damage your eggs???? Well you will want to candle your eggs soon to determine viability. We don't know how long they stayed at that high temp, exactly. Hopefully only 2 or 3 hours. Have hope. There have been cases when incubators have gone up and the chicks survived. And the other way around, also. It may affect the hatch date. You could have some early birds. Or no birds. But have hope.

4. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Lil' cluckers :

Omg-- now the temperature has gotten down into the 80's and the indicator light is not coming on at all. Has power. 20+ eggs down the tubes....

Hurry up and put them on an electric warmer or hot water bottle, until you get the incubator straight. And keep the thermometer with them.​

5. Little Cluckers

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thank you!

I (finally) had the good sense to put a heat lamp over the incubator and I also found the hova bator instructions for correctly setting the thermostat. This was a second hand incubator, which is why I decided to run it song long before setting the eggs. And, it turns out it was at the wrong temperature setting! So even though I thought the temperature was stable and correct, it must have been very affected by the temperature in that room. I will candle tonight to see if any of them have made it. Of course they are nice silkie eggs (of course, right!?). Boo hoo.

I have some silkie chicks coming along nicely and hopefully a few of them can be my setters and brooders.

6. rhoda_bruce

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I hope you have it straight. I would let the candler be my guide. Obviously what happened today is not good, but if you have it straight, you might have something. I would give them a chance. What have you got to lose?

7. Little Cluckers

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    The temp still isn't right. It is 5 degrees too warm. The instructions are terribly written. OR, maybe I am just not understanding them. But, basically the thermostat does not respond as it describes in the directions for restoring the factory settings. One is supposed to turn off all the rocker switches, then turn on 2,4,6,8 and wait for flashing to stop (this is the part that does NOT happen--the thermostat light is just solid) then turn on 4.

Genesis 1588 geniuses help!

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN [​IMG] Mine is going crazy right now [​IMG]

9. bovina.belle

bovina.belle New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    "The instructions are terribly written. But, basically the thermostat does not respond as it describes in the directions for restoring the factory settings. One is supposed to turn off all the rocker switches, then turn on 2,4,6,8 and wait for flashing to stop (this is the part that does NOT happen--the thermostat light is just solid) then turn on 4. Genesis 1588 geniuses help!"

Hi,
    I just got my second hand genesis 1588, and I can't seem to get the temp exactly where I want it. I too found the pdf manuals online. When resetting to the factory settings you do not have to wait till the lights stop flashing, as long as they flash you can go on with the toggling. If you can't get them to flash, then you may have a faulty thermostat(i hope not though). You could try blowing out the fan area with a can of air. Mine had a lot of dust or chick dander in it, which could affect performance.
    On switch #4 mine was running 100.6 and now on #3 is running 99.3, and I want it to run between 99.5 to 100.0 ... Arg! Those darn directions are written poorly & confusing. We both may need to find a phone number for GQF customer service !

i believe 4 is the factory setting, since that is the one the manual refers to, although it does not just simply state that, or anything simply for that matter.

also aggravated with 1588 and my expensive 18 D'uccle bantam eggs in it !!! lol
    hope we get these things figured out!
    Sheri Bovina.Belle

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by