Temperature "spike?"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LastChanceRanch, Nov 4, 2009.

1. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    ok guys bear with me, because i am a first time incubator!! Anyways I set my bator up a week early, and stabilized the temp right at 101 ( i have two thermometers, one digital one regular) and 55% humidity (2 hygrometers, one digital one regular). I put my eggies in on November 3. This morning I woke up and the temp was up to 103 (I checked it last around 2 am this morning and it was 100 and I did not adjust it). I opened the hood and "aired" it out for a minute or so and brought the temperature down to 100 and have been watching it and it is not climbing above 101. Are my eggies ok??

PS It is a still air incubator

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

very OK, even because your is still air it even better. [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They should be okay. Keep incubating them, don't give up!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

At 103 (not over) is probably ok that early in the incubation. They should still be ok. Thats one of the issues with a still air. Did the temp in the room change?

5. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Thanks all, I will never give up hope (unless it something obviously wrong! [​IMG])

I'm sure the air temperature did change in the room as we live in Michigan and its getting rather cold at night, I'm sure the furnance probably kicked on over night (we have a programmed thermostat to keep temp down while we are away during the day at work) I turned off the thermostat program and am leaving it constant for the incubation period. This is the only thing i could think of that changed the temperature. Hopefully that helps!

Thank you for all the input, I feel a little better. I was so upset but now I'm hopeful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by