1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperature swing in bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinners204, Aug 16, 2008.

1. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    This is my second time hatching eggs and the first time I had 8 out of 13 hatch. Not bad I guess for eggs that where shipped to me from northern california. I live in Iowa. This time I got a hygrometer, so I can watch my humidity levels closer. I've read that 45% to 50% is the ideal range and the last two day before hatch, raise it too 60% to 65%. Ok so I wasn't happy either with my thermometer so I went to Walmart and bought a digital thermometer that you take your temperature with it says it is accurate with in 0.02% You would think something you would take your childs temperature with would be really accurate so I started taking temperature reading and I'm having temperature swings from 98.2 to 101.3 So I'm guessing I am close to ideal temperature of 99.5 It is a havabator with a fan and egg turner. What does everyone else think of the temperature swing. Do you think I'm close. I'm on day 3 Any input would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I've had a lot of temp swings like the ones you've described and I've got a pip starting about an hour ago though this is only day 18. Just a bit early lol. I think you'll be fine as long as you don't get too hot.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i belive they will be ok i hatch every week

4. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

my bator is the same...if you get a water wiggler you can neasure the temp more constantly, search for the water wiggler here as some of us use it.....

5. tinners204

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Any ideas on how to make a homemade one?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What model hovabator are you using? If it is an older model they have a ether filled wafer and those can go bad at the drop of a hat. Try a new wafer and keep a spare on hand just in case.

Also make sure the bator is in a very stable room with less than 10 degree temp flux.

I find that 35% - 45% humidity is best for day 1 - 18. On day 18 I boost the humidity to 70%.

With my own eggs I am having 100% hatch rates. With shipped eggs I get at best 70% hatch rate (which is really good for shipped eggs).

Make sure you sterelize the incubator very well between hatches. Bacteria lurks in those warm damp places and can kill the embryos.

2 zip lock baggies of warm water and a rubber band work well for a homemade wiggler.

7. tinners204

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Thank You Miss Prissy. My humidity is 46% right now so I will take a vent plug out on top to lower it. Thanks again.

8. tinners204

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Another question is will the egg turner work with 2 bags of water on it?

9. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    my bator does same thing it goes from 99 to 101.

i kinda wish i had a egg turner but there just to much and im not going to keep hatching alot this is like only once in a while thing for me.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by