Temperature swings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ironmaiden, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Hey folks. We're having crazy temperature swings here. It was 47 this morning but the high today will be 82. It's driving me batty. I have thirty 3 week old chicks. They have a 4x15 foot area in the barn, and a run outside. The barn doors, windows and run are blocked by blandex boards at night. I usually take the screws out of these and open them up before I leave for work, but I don't want the chicks to get cold. I don't want them to get hot either! They share the barn with the bigger hens, but are partitioned off by wire. The chicks do have two brooder lamps in their pen, and can get away from the heat if necessary. Any thoughts?

Can't wait till they complete their feathering out! [​IMG]

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    They need about 80 degrees 24/7 right now. Keep the heat available. They'll use it as needed.

3. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Yeah. I know they need the heat, but trying to figure out if the heat will be enough if I open their little door to provide access to the run is why I fret. I don't want them to have drafts. As it is, I will be going home to open things up at lunch. Hopefully I can tear myself away to come back to work. They are a fun bunch to watch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by