Temperature/Thermometer

Hal9000

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2015
I will be getting my chicks Wednesday from the Co-op. This is my first time and was wondering if a cheap Thermometer was enough to measure the temperature in my brooder for the them? If not does someone have a suggestion on a good inexpensive thermometer?

I honestly bought the thermometer from Walmart and it was a whopping 96 cents lol! I am new to Chicken raising and something I have learned in these past couple weeks with these 10 hens that I have is that they will let you know if it is too hot or too cold. I would look at the thermometer every couple hours the first couple days, but now I just watch them and see if I need to adjust the heat. If they are huddled under the lamp and not moving you have it too far away and they are cold, if they are sitting away from the light it is too hot.

Also, you will have hens that have their own preference. I have a couple that will sleep directly under the lamp, a couple that is just off to the side and then a couple that like to sleep outside of the light. Can't make everyone happy I guess! lol

Hope this helps!

It Does thank you!
We are also getting 10 hens. I almost bought the $.96 thermometer yesterday. I will pick it up tonight .

Suggest a long type like a fish tank type container heat toward one end where they can move toward heat or away as they want .

Back
Top Bottom