temperature trauma!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    OK one of my eggs has pipped (thats when they first crack the shell isnt it im not very good with duck slang yet) anyway one of them has just started to crack the shell and the other egg (i only have 2) has not, now...

im told the temp needs to be lowered to 98.5 degrees F during the "hatching period", is this true? i mean is it really necessary?

because i have a forced air incubator the incubator itself will keep the temp at whatever i want it to be and i just changed it to 98.5 and ive heard that temp needs to be lowered because they create heat themselves when coming out of the shell, but do i need to lower the temp with my incubator?

i would hate for anything to go wrong because the temp is too low.. will they be ok with the temp at 98.5?

ps how long does it take from first pip to hatch because i am so not going to get any sleep tonight [​IMG]

2. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    It def varies from pip to hatch...3 of my eggs were pipped for 3 days before they hatched. They are perfectly healthy. Another one was only 12 hours or so. You have to be patient and let them do what they need to do. As far as temp goes...mine got down to 97 or 96 after they hatched and during...so i dont think you have to worry too much about it. Just sit on your hands and let it happen.

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    YAY it's finally happening!

I just left the temperature alone on my and they all hatched just fine. It was two days between the first and last pip. They know when they're ready.

4. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    And don't rush them out of the shell! I made that mistake. I had one that was zipped for two days but wasn't coming out, so finally I helped it and his yolk hadn't absorbed yet! He did make it, but I felt absolutely horrible!

Can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    yay the other egg is pipped now [​IMG]

6. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Please have your camera ready. I think we are ALL stressed and eager for your hatch to go well. Good luck, and leave 'em alone to do their thing.

7. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    one of them has started to crack the shell about 1/4 about the egg, cant be too long now [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Congrats!

In the future, if you have a thermostat, you don't need to and shouldn't lower the temperature near or at hatch. Any heat generated by the chick will just mean the heater is on less.

9. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by