Temperature variation - opinions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I built a wine fridgibator that I'm doing a test hatch in. I just have one concern and I'm curious to get your opinions. My heat and humidity sources are in the very top of the incubator and the two egg shelves are at the bottom (see pic). I tested temps on that top shelf and they seem to be running around 102 - 104, however down where the eggs are and where the thermostat sensor is it's been holding a perfect 99.5. I went ahead and set my eggs since that area has been spot on but I keep wondering if I should worry about my temps being higher up at the top? If my thermometer is set up top it's just inches from the heat source (light bulb) so I'm assuming it would be difficult to get it to not read higher. I'm feeling pretty okay with it but still have small concerns about it causing temperature fluctuations below. The thermostat should take care of this though, correct? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Do you have a fan in there?

If the eggs are the right temp then the high heat at the top is harmless.

3. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah, I actually have two fans. One blows through the vent you can see at the back. I actually turned that one off as it was pulling in too much cool air from outside but I can turn it back on if I need it for some reason. I also have another fan mounted at a 45 degree angle at the top of the bator that blows down and across the bulb and water container. Good to hear I shouldn't worry. I'm just a little obsessive with this set up right now since it's my first homemade bator [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by