Temperature Variation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by indigo flats, Feb 6, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    If the temperature runs .4 F degrees warmer in forced air model during incubation how would that effect development during the 21 days and would it effect hatching time.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    .4 F or .4 C? I assume you mean F. The difference really is negligible. They will hatch slightly earlier, possibly.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Consider temperature, humidity, and even the 21 day thing a target. You don’t necessarily have to hit the bull’s eye to score, though you want to be reasonably close. If you are within 0.4F you are doing OK. You will probably do well only off 0.4C though I’d expect that much to noticeably affect hatch time.

Each egg is unique. For different reasons different eggs do best at different humidities and even different temperatures. Sometimes my incubator or broody hen hatches are over within 24 hours of the first one hatching, some have drug out for three days. That’s just due to the differences in the eggs you set.

If you have calibrated your thermometer and are absolutely sure it is running that much high, don’t be too surprised if your hatch starts a bit early, but I would not expect it to have any effect on your hatch rate. That’s certainly within a good range.

4. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    Appreciate the replies it varies by .4F I check it morning noon and night for temp and humidity. I am dry incubating so I keep the humidity between 20% and 35% and temp. is fairly regular with .4 f off and on during a 24 hour period. Was wondering how much it would effect the 21 day hatch rate. Its down .4 and up .4 so I am expecting a 21 day hatch just trying to get some input on it to see if I am right or wrong.

5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    .4 degrees will probably never notice that small of a swing.

Hatch should be ontime.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    .4 warmer for the entire 21 days would probably cause your eggs to hatch about 1/2 day earlier. If your temp rises and falls about 4 tenths the eggs should hatch on time----IF your thermometer is Correct.

7. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you have a egg to drag out for 3 days-----do you think it might be a temperature difference causing it???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by