Temperature variations throughout hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CorralitosSunflower, May 25, 2010.

1. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I am using an older Lyon Turn-X incubator. I set it up a day early, got the temps about right but the thing is that it seems to gradually increase in temp. throughout the day. Never does it drop down unless I turn the dial so it can't have anything to do with the outside temp. I got shipped eggs and let them set for 24 hrs trying to get it to stay totally constant and finally put the eggs in. I have been monitering it very closely and generally speaking it has varied from 98.5 to 101.5. I do my very best to keep it at 99.5 but it is hard if I am out of the house. Once I came home to find it at 103 [​IMG] but judging from how gradually it increases it wasn't that hot for to long (or so I hope). If this continues is my hatch doomed? I am hoping that if I can keep it in the range from 98.5 to 101 everything will be alright, what do you think?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If it is only a breif period of a spike, which 103 is a teeny pike, they will be fine!

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    As long as the spike was an isolated incident and the period of high temp not prolonged, you should be OK. Under momma their temp. varies a bit depending where they are in relation to her brood patch, but then the temp. will tend to be a bit low rather than a bit high,
    Good Luck,
    Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by