temperature went too high

TWOMANYCHICKENS

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I set 41 BCM eggs and on day 3 the temperature rose to 103. I'm not sure how long it was that high, do you think I lost my eggs or is the only real way to tell to candle later? Is ther a sight or an authortative book anyone could reccomend about chickens and raising/hatching them? getting ready to go out and love on mine now:)

High incubation temps can have a different effects on the embryos, but it depends on how high the core temperature of the egg was. Too high temperatures early on in the incubation can cause problems with the chicks eyes and at later stages of the incubation it can cause foot and leg problems. It can also cause the eggs to hatch too early. 103* is not high enough to kill them, but it might have had an adverse effect on the embryos.

You'll just have to wait and candle at day 7 or day 10. If eggs are dark and hard to see into day 10 may give you a better idea if they are still developing. Sorry for the spike.

Mine spiked to 106 once (only for 15-30 mins) and they are doing just fine! I think it depends on how long it was that high.

We have noticed we had some hot spots. When we candle we have noticed that one area in the bator had a few eggs with blood rings. I could be wrong, but I think the hot spots are to blame. Might be something to look for.

Back
Top Bottom