Temperature

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mcardle671, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mcardle671

mcardle671 New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    We just received 9 10 week old chicks. They are fully feathered. We live in southern New Hampshire. What is an appropriate temperature for their coop? We have a heat lamp for them, the current temp is 37. Should we turn it on, or turn on a regular light?

Thanks!

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i have no perspective of your area. in my opinion, as long as the temp is above freezing & there is no draft or rain - they won't need a heat lamp.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    At this age they really don't need extra heat. As long as their coop is draught free and dry inside they will be o.k. They can huddle together and keep each other warm too. A heat lamp is lovely, but IMO opinion it's not necessary unless the coop temperature drops below freezing and your chickens risk getting frostbite, but keeping the coop dry and above freezing will prevent that.

4. mcardle671

mcardle671 New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    When we got them, some of them already had frostbite on their feet. I guess I'm a bit nervous about that.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Let your chickens roost on something board like a 2x4, so their feathers cover their feet completely. This will help protect their feet from the cold and frost bite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by