1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperature

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by V-NH, Mar 24, 2013.

1. V-NH

V-NH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I bought 10 chicks today and I am curious where I should keep them. I am brooding them in one of these:

[​IMG]

I have a heat lamp attached to the tank and it is currently in my basement. My basement is finished and I use it as my living room, so I don't want to keep them in there for 6 weeks. I have two other options, my wood shop (in my garage) or my three season sun porch. Neither of those rooms are heated and I live in New Hampshire, so I am concerned that they won't make it through the night if the temperature drops to 20 or something like that. It has been in the 40s during the day for the past week or so, but it has still been getting pretty cold at night. Will the 250w heat lamp counteract the cold and help them survive, or should I just keep them in my basement to be on the safe side? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to this!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think your stock tank is good as a brooder, but put a screen or make one for the top because they can start flying up to the top by 2 weeks of age. They really can't go out in 20 degree temps at night until they are fully feathered by 7 weeks give or take. They shouldn't need the 250 watt lamp the whole time inside. Just wean them down gradually by about 5 degrees per week, and you can use lesser wattage bulbs as needed. The first couple of nights outside I would give them the 250 watt lamp back where they can get under it only if needed.

3. V-NH

V-NH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I'll make a screen for the tank sometime this week then. It sounds like I should keep them inside and not put them in my wood shop or sun porch. I'll see if I can find a better location for them inside of my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by