Temperment of Dutch Bantams and Old English Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Sep 1, 2008.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I'm thinking about getting either Dutch Bantams or Old English Bantams in the spring and I was hope someone could tell me about their temperments, especially the roosters. Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard that dutch roos tend to be really nasty. obviously theres some nice ones out there. OEG roos can be on the mean side too, but not as bad as dutch I've heard.

3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I have also heard both bad and good things about both types of roos. I think it really depends on the particular bird.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    When I had both, Dutch were very mild. OEG were onery but not mean. OEG can be made into pets until they become pests. OEG have the temperament of the saying "banty rooster". Altho not large enuf to hurt anyone or anything.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    My line of Light Brown Dutch bantams the roosters were agressive to other people, although the father to all my light browns was not agressive at all, so I would have to say it goes by the more dominant the hens are. The Blue Cream and the Cream Light Browns were not however agressive in any way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by