Temperment of Sumatras and Yokohamas ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jasonak, Jan 14, 2011.

1. jasonak

jasonak Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Hi
    Making my list for new addtions to my flcok was going to get bantam sumatras and red shoulder yokohamas.Well these birds get along with my flock.You can see below what I have for birds.Mostley bantams few standards.Just didnt want to get them if they did not get along with other chickens.I did search on here but didnt find anything about how they were with other birds.
    thanks

2. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Temperament wise the Sumatrans have been pretty calm, and in the case that we need to handle our their fine. I wouldn't call them friendly, in the cuddly sense of the word, but they will get used to you. They can fly pretty well, I read somewhere that some of these birds (in their homeland) can fly good distances. While ours get out of the yard and try to range, they assimilated well to the flock. My Pet Chicken seems to have pretty good Sumatrans too, just a FYI. I love 'em, and they're plumage is gorgeous.

3. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I too would like to know about the temperament of both of these breeds...

4. jasonak

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply,nice to hear they got along with your flock ,,,,I guess from the look of them I was kinda thinking they might fight with my other chickens [​IMG] Although I have room to seperate my birds I dont like to.I like to have everyone getting along.Ive gotten rid of some really nice looking birds that were trouble makers.Hated to but for me better to have nice average looking bird than a show quality that fights everyone.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I can only tell you about Sumatras.
    My experience has been a bit different. While they are not man fighters, they DO NOT get along with my other boys and are separated from them.
    They are VERY aggressive toward my alpha rooster and would kill him in a heartbeat if they ever got the chance.
    Stunningly beautiful birds, though.

6. jasonak

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Hi
    Eastxchick

Are your sumatras standard ? I ordered bantma thinking they might be tamer,as that is usally the norm.At least in my experience with chickens.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I know nothing about Sumatras, but my Red Shouldered Yokohamas are VERY mellow & not flighty at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Sorry, Jason, I should have mentioned that-they are large fowl.
    I have no experience with bantams so I can't tell you about their aggressiveness.

9. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    I have raised both of these breeds and found them to be companionable if you take the time to acclimate them to handling as chicks. I have also had no problems with them with exhibiting aggression with other chickens/breeds or roosters. Their temperaments have been calm & docile.

With Yokohamas, I have had chicks fly out of the brooder to visit with me. The clients who bought them from me, tell me they are some of their calmest birds with sweet dispositions.

My first batch of Sumatras, were very attuned to me and remained calm when my activities brought me close to them, though were a mite jittery if I handled them. They were also fearful of my husband, and used to fly onto our roof if he was trying to corral them. He grew so frustrated by this that I sold them, even though I deeply admired their beauty and swagger. Their iridescence is stunning, and I love that the palms of their feet are yellow!

I now have a trio of frizzled Sumatras. One is "cuddly" friendly, follows me all about and seems to adore being held & petted; one is slightly skiddish; one is curious and seems to enjoy hanging out around me, but while she'll stay calm when picked up, does not appear to be thrilled by being handled. These three live in a flock of 48 chickens (14 breeds--some bantams- plenty of roosters), 20 ducks, 2 geese, and 14 guineas. They all get along; no rooster fights. These birds are now around 8 months old.

Haven't raised bantams of these breeds as yet, but I think the differences in temperaments would be pretty negligible. I would definitely recommend both breeds, but not to first time poultry keepers.

[​IMG]

10. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by