1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperment

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AZchickens, May 6, 2008.

1. AZchickens

AZchickens New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Silly question...forgive me, I am very new...gathering information before I try my hand at raising birds...do chickens and turkeys get aong? How much space would 5 Standard Bronze Turkeys and 25 Meat and Egg Combo Chickens from McMurray Hatchery need in a coop and a pen?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    First of all [​IMG] .

I am not to familiar with raising turkeys but I am with raising meat chickens. You said you wanted to raise 25 Meat/Egg Combo. Do you mean you are raising some egg layers and some meat birds or that you will eat your layers?

If you are going to raise both meat and layers than I would not keep them in the same pen. Meat chickens grow extremely fast and are ready for slaughter in about 8 weeks. They require more cleaning out then the layers do and they stink more then the layers.

3. AZchickens

AZchickens New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks for the welcome.

I am Planning on raising both meat chickens and egg layers, so your recommendation of separating them is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by