Templeton gets saved to die another day

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hearthnsoul, May 11, 2010.

1. hearthnsoul

hearthnsoul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Cape Cod
    So we have rats. Yes I had all the visions when my husband told me of sewer rats the size of dog. They have been putting tunnels under the barn,..you can hear them from time to time squealing. So last night I see my husband and son go out with sling shots in hand. My philosophy, if it has to be done, ok, just don't let me know about it.
    So this morning I head down to let out the troops and feed and water them all and I walk into the chicken run and hear a horrific screaming. I look around and there it is..a rat caught in chicken coop wire. He must have tried to slip between the wire and his belly full of grain got stuck. I jossled the wire with my foot and it wiggled and struggled but couldn't get free. Well I just hated this. why couldn't my husband be home. I took the feed cup and tried to lift him so he could purchase some footing and wiggle free,..no good. I coudn't help but think of Templeton from Charlottes web,...he didn't look terrible,...he was actually kinda cute,..I suppose it was the setting,..early morning,..sun shinin.....So I hunted down the snips and carefully unclipped the wire around his writhing body and even with the wire cut, his body hung in such a way he couldn't get throuh. I had to give him a boost, this was gettign ridiculous now... and off he went like a rat out of hell.
    How ridiculous am I, I saved the thing my husband is out the night before trying to kill. Ugh!

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

lol
    [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He will pay you back one day by eating your eggs or baby chicks. Rats are like that.

4. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    [​IMG]
    Too funny. Sounds like something I would do and have done with mice. You are a better 'man' than me though. I don't know if I could save a rat.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh Hooray for Templeton. Hooray for you!!! A terrific tale told terrifically. There is a certain irony, a juxtaposition of sorts, a balance of yin and yang. I like to think we are not always adversaries, that it is not always us versus them... Your story perfectly illustrates this.

Thanks you,
    Jenny

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I must say without the presence of someone with more backbone than me, Templeton would have had another freebie escape. [​IMG]

7. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have had in my larger coop a mouse take up residence there. she has had little babies also. I have seen several babies. Down to the momma and 2 babies. I know it is bad to not get rid of these pests. but I have one of my cats that goes out some night if the weather is permitting. He will sit out there and wait for them to come out and attack I guess this is why there are only 2 left. I do all the chores and care for all of my girls so my husband doesn't know they are pest living out there. But kudos to Templeton. to bad you can't relocate him to live his life elsewhere.

8. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    You just followed your heart:)

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Ayep.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by