Temporarily Egg Bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickensREasy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ChickensREasy

ChickensREasy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    Is it possible for hen to be temporarily egg bound? Or perhaps interrupted while egg laying? I can't tell the difference between my BR hens, ( I know bad chicken owner) but one if them was squatty and had portruding vent when I let them out this morning. Now they all look fine and there was one regular egg layed.

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    There's a chance she was interrupted, but you may want to take a closer look at their bums again. Do you feed oyster shell or any other product with a high calcium percentage?

Calcium will help strengthen the shells and make it easier to push out.

3. ChickensREasy

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    Yes they've had free access to oyster shell for about a month and on laying granuals for 2 weeks. Free range daytime.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some hens will have a small vent prolapse that may not be seen unless they are laying or straining when you are trying to do something to them. Then the prolapse goes back inside on it's own. I had 2 faverolles hens that had loose musculature around their vents and did that, but it always went back inside on it's own. Keep an eye on her, since she could have a prolapse that gets stuck outside which requires quick treatment of honey for swelling, lubrication, and pushing it back inside before the tissue dries out.

5. ChickensREasy

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    None of them seem at all distressed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your video says it is private.

7. ChickensREasy

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    I fixed it, should play now.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They look fine sunbathing. I would just pick them up occasionally, and check some vents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by