Temporary Barriers Outside of Run

cams1225

Hatching
Jun 30, 2020
Hello All!
I'm still fairly new to chickens, and we just have three hens that aren't quite laying eggs yet. They have a predator-proof run and coop in our backyard which is almost an acre entirely fenced in though only with a four foot fence. I sometimes take them on little field trips through the yard, but I've been hesitant to give them full access to the backyard for a few reasons. I really, really don't want them to get over the fence. We back up to a graveyard on one side, and I definitely don't want to chase my chickens through a funeral service. Also, while they would be safe behind the fence, some of our neighbors let their dogs run loose on the other side. They rarely come this way, but I don't really want my little girlies flaunting themselves as tasty little morsels for them. I've been thinking about clipping their feathers and hoping that will do it, but there are also several areas in the back I'd rather them not go (garden areas, etc). Anyway, I was thinking of building a fence for them within our fence. Maybe out of something flimsier and more temporary so I could change it up often and give them access to new places in the yard. Because I don't really worry about predators in the yard and I would be enclosing them in their sturdier run/coop in the evening time, would it be stupid to section off parts of the yard with bird netting? That way I can give them more freedom without full access to the entire yard? Would stakes in the ground surrounded by bird netting be enough to keep them in without it being too permanent of a structure? Has anyone done that? Or is the idea completely off base?

Instead of bird netting i would go with a portable electric fence.

Not stupid at all to restrict their movements and protect your landscaping.
An electric fence does seem very reliable. I'm a bit worried, though, because I have three young kids ages 2, 5, and 10 who play back there often. RIght now, they like to take little food scraps or treats out to the chickens and toss them through the fence of the run for them throughout the day, so I would worry about safety. Of course, maybe there is a way to work around it, but I would hate for the kids to get hurt.

Side note.....If you don't have wire or a cover on the 4' tall run they CAN get out and hawks, raccoons and other undesirable things can get in.
Thanks! They currently have a taller run inside of my four foot fence that is tall, covered, and predator proof. I'm just looking for a way to give them more room to forage during the day. I'm thinking maybe if I come up with a 6 foot or taller barrier, maybe that will do the trick. But I would definitely close them in their more secured run at night.

I think that just about everyone who has both chickens and gardens uses some form of fence to either keep chickens in their designated areas or out of their forbidden areas. :)
Thanks! Do you think any kind of netting is enough for this purpose?

Do you think any kind of netting is enough for this purpose?

If the only thing it needs to do is contain chickens, then yes, netting should work.

Chicken wire also works to contain chickens.

Neither netting nor chicken wire will keep out predators, but I see that you're already aware of that :)

Thanks! They currently have a taller run inside of my four foot fence that is tall, covered, and predator proof. I'm just looking for a way to give them more room to forage during the day. I'm thinking maybe if I come up with a 6 foot or taller barrier, maybe that will do the trick. But I would definitely close them in their more secured run at night.

I use 6 foot tall wire fencing and my chickens can fly over it if they wanted. But I also put bird netting on top of the fencing to keep out hawks and eagles. So that keeps the chickens in the the eagles out. I will not let my chickens free range as there is just too much predatory pressure. Where I live, people who free range their chickens are called former chicken owners....

Since I cannot let my chickens free range for their safety, I keep them enclosed in a chicken run. But I mow the lawn and dump the grass clippings in the run, along with garden weeds, kitchen scraps, leaves, etc.... They seem happy enough. It is my attempt to bring the free range to them in the run.

Back
Top Bottom