Temporary Chick ramp/tunnel

gnmrk2000

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 19, 2011
North West New Jersey
I’m looking for some creative, diy ideas for how to allow my littles to free range (while I’m with them) and at the same time keep them confined and safe from my full grown hens. Ideally, I want to “build” a sort of ramp from the raised coop onto the ground (similar to a tunnel I guess). I’m not GREAT at building things but I can follow directions really well 🤣. I have lots of chicken wire and hardware cloth laying around but I can’t picture what the “frame” would look like to keep them contained. I would have to keep them from escaping under the coop as well. Any creative minds out there willing to shoot me some ideas? Obviously their coop has a small pop door that goes into the shared run but there is a lot more vegetation, leaves, etc in front of their coop which is why I want to create something off of the front!
ADF0A331-83A8-4564-B7FC-23D0E49AF4E3.jpeg

Is that your only coop and run?
I would think they'd be integrated by now?
No, I have a second, larger coop and 3 chain link pens connected together. In my experience, silkies don’t always do well with the full size hens. The silkies have only been outside for 1 week. First I kept them in the coop with the wire door closed so they could “see” the big hens. This next step will allow them to come out and socialize safely. I came up with a great temporary solution as shown in this new pic

Attachments

• 28389CDF-6FBE-4730-A31A-28C45595B658.jpeg
    28389CDF-6FBE-4730-A31A-28C45595B658.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 5
You dont need a frame to make a tunnel. Wrap the wire until it forms an O shape.... then flatten to a D shape. Secure it to the ground with landscape staples :)
Easy peasy! BUT, this is for when they can be supervised.... this is NOT predator proof! BUT, it will give them some freedom!

Back
Top Bottom