Temporary Chicken Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huxlius, Dec 8, 2009.

1. huxlius

huxlius Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    SW Connecticut
    I am adding two more chickens to our flock and am trying to figure out the best way to build a temporary coop. We have an extra run that they could stay in, next to the current run, but it's too cold at night for them to not have a coop. The main coop isn't big enough to put in a cage with the two chickens in it. Is there any way to rig up a quick coop out of...I don't know...a storage bin or something to just keep them protected from the cold for a few days before being put into the main coop? If necessary they can stay in the garage, but I'm afraid they still might be cold in there too. Any suggestions?

2. rickc24

rickc24 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    hey the garage is perfect there is no draft in there also you can put in a temp light or a little heat my coop is like 50 degrees with a 250 watt lamp....im from ct also

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    They will not be too cold in the garage.

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Yes, I've used the garage before for temporary quarters. I just put up some 4' tall wire fencing ran it from one stud, around a temporary post made from a 2x4, then stapled it to another wall stud (my garage isn't sheet rocked). Hung a light from the rafters to about 3 and a half from the floor, put down some newspaper (they do like to scratch the paper so put down a thick layer and weigh it down), food, water and you're all set!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    My 2 suggestions...1) I've seen people make temporary coop out of a large rubbermaid container (The bigger the better). Just cut a hole in one end big enough for them to go in and out and fill the bottom with some pine shaving. 2) Look on Craigslist for a free/cheap doghouse. My girls live in 2 separate doghouses. Because the lids come off, they are easy to clean. For both options you could cut a piece of fence post and just lay it on the bottom to use for a roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by